Sunday, July 22, 2012

My Moms (food) Legacy

       The other day I heard a rapping upon my chamber door.  To my surprise, when I opened it there was no person standing there..... yet a brown cardboard box rested silently at my feet. Picking it up I was astonished by the weight of such a small box. Being curious I checked the return address label. It was from my sister.  I suddenly remembered the conversation about the box of King Arthur books that were on their way to my humble abode. So I open the box and lovingly caressed each wonderful book as I withdrew them one by one.
       As I reached the bottom of the box I spotted a very tattered three-ringed binder adorned with kitty stickers and one that read "I love Washington".  Not exactly sure what I was seeing, I pulled it slowly out of the box to avoid the papers slipping out of the folder that seemed to have a tenuous grip on. I opened the binders cover and tears filled my eyes and I sank to the couch.
       I held in my hands my mothers recipe book.  Filled to bursting with recipes dating back to 1967; many of them written in her distinguishably beautiful handwriting.  She even left a written commentary on the quality of the food prepared from many of them and conversions to make larger quantities or if they were good frozen or not.
       Being an absolute lover of cooking and splendid tasting food I could not imagine a better legacy to hand down to your children.  I had been working on a recipe book to give to each of my three girls and now I get to share with them their Grandmother's secrets as well.
       Jessie (my sister), I can't thank you enough for sending the precious book of secrets to me. And Mom, thank you so very much for all of the things I have ever learned from you. And because of your dedication to cooking, all of the things I am still able to learn and to connect with you even while you are in Heaven.

                                                 " Life is too short to eat crappy food!"








4 comments:

Brandy Lu said...

Beautiful! :)

Unknown said...

like it Dear I agree life is to short for crappy food. and good memories are priceless

Jessie said...

Brings tears to my eyes to read this! I'm glad you appreciate the gift and I hope you enjoy trying them out. I love all the stew and soup receipes and make a couple of them every winter!! Love you!!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you appreciated my post sissy. I appreciated the gift. Its the best thing you've ever given me. :D Lots of love Danielle.