Friday, April 18, 2014

"Poetry is the devils wine"- St. Augustine

Poetry surrounds us everyday even if you don't realize it. Set to music, the poets of the day fill our ears with their messages of love, pain, death, dispare, joyfullness and magic.
A poem can change ones mood just by hearing it. They can open your mind and expand your thoughts taking you to new and foreign places. We have been blessed by the English language and the ability to have so much information at our fingertips.
Surfing through the masses of junk on the internet can clog your brain at times. Try searching out a poem and see if it brings peace and clarity. If it alters your perception of the world.
Some of the great poets wrote prose that is equally captivating. Their power over words transferable to any medium. Like magic on a page. A work of art made only with the use of 26 letters.
I have compiled some of my favorites for you to read and a list of some for you to Google to see if you can find your own poem. The one that speaks directly to you soul as these do mine. Enjoy your poetry lesson and expand your horizons.

Body of a Woman
Body of a woman, white hills, white thighs,
you look like a world lying in surrender.
My rough peasants body digs in you
and makes the son leap from the depth
of the earth.

I was only a tunnel. The birds fled from me,
and nigh swamped me with its crushing invasion.
To survive myself I forge you like a weapon,
like an arrow in my bow, a stone in my sling.

But the hour of vengence falls, and I love you.
Body of skin, of moss, of eager and firm milk.
Oh the goblets of the breast! Oh the eyes of absence!
Oh the roses of the pubis! Oh your voice, slow and sad.
Body of a woman, I will persist in your grace.
My thirst, my boundless desire, my shifting road.
Dark river beds where eternal thirst flows.
And weariness follows, and the intimate ache.
-Pablo Neruda

"Witch Wife"
She is neither pink nor pale,
and she never will be all mine;
she learned her hands in a fairy tale
and her mouth on a valentine.

She has more hair than she needs,
in the sun tie a woe to me!
And her voice is a string of colored beads,
or steps leading into the saw.

She loves me all that she can,
and her ways to my ways resign;
but she was not made for any man
and she will never be all mine.
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

"For it is not inertia alone that is responsible for relationships repeating themselves from case to case, indescribably monotonous and unrenewed. It is shyness before any new unforeseeable experience with which one does not think ones able to cope. But only someone who is ready for everything, who excludes nothing, not even the most enigmatical, will live the relation to another as something alive."
-Rilke

"Stretching out on the rock, body taunt, then relaxed, on the alter, I felt I was being raped deliciously by the sun, filled full of heatfrom the impersonal and colossal god of nature."
- Sylvia Plath

list of poets
T.S. Eliot
Dylan Thomas
Theodore Roethke
William Blake
Oscar Wilde

No comments: